P6: Seating Position
The location for this occupant in, on, or outside of the motor vehicle prior to the first event in the Sequence of Events. See Example Diagram.
(From a State Police Instruction Manual): Note - More than one person may have the same seating position. Example, a child being held in the lap of another occupant or a person sitting in front of the driver of a motorcycle.
Subfield 1 - Row:
- Other Row (bus, 15 passenger van, etc.)
Subfield 2 - Seat:
- Left (usually the motor vehicle or motorcycle driver except for postal vehicles and some foreign vehicles)
Subfield 3 - Other Location:
- Not Applicable
- Sleeper Section of Cab (Truck)
- Other Enclosed Cargo Area
- Unenclosed Cargo Area
- Trailing Unit
- Riding on Motor Vehicle Exterior (non-trailing unit)
Other Seat (in any row) (from FARS Coding Manual) - persons lying across the seat or when there are two or more people seated in the middle.
Without known seating position of each person in the motor vehicle, it is not possible to fully evaluate, for example, the effect of occupant protection programs.