P23: Non-Motorist Actions/Circumstances at Time of Crash
The actions/circumstances of the non-motorist that may have contributed to the crash. This data element is based on the judgment of the law enforcement officer investigating the crash.
Non-motorist - any person other than an occupant of a motor vehicle in transport. This includes pedestrians, bicyclists, other cyclists, occupants of other motor vehicles not in transport, and occupants of transport vehicles other than motor vehicles.
This element is divided into Subfields 1 and 2 for recording up to 2 attributes.
- No Improper Action
- Failure to Yield Right-Of-Way
- Failure to Obey Traffic Signs, Signals, or Officer
- In Roadway Improperly (Standing, Lying, Working, Playing)
- Disabled Vehicle Related (Working on, Pushing, Leaving/Approaching)
- Entering/Exiting Parked/Standing Vehicle
- Inattentive (talking, eating, etc.)
- Not Visible (Dark Clothing, No Lighting, etc.)
- Improper Turn/Merge
- Improper Passing
- Wrong-Way Riding or Walking
The development of effective roadway design and operation, education, and enforcement measures to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists and prevent crashes with motor vehicles is enhanced by the collection of the actions and circumstances at the time of the crash..
Useful in combination with Element P22 Non-Motorist Action/Cricumstance Prior to Crash to develop a complete picture of a person's contribution to a crash.