P13: Driver Actions at Time of Crash
The actions by the driver that may have contributed to the crash. This data element is based on the judgment of the law enforcement officer investigating the crash and need not match Violation Codes (P14).
This element is divided into 4 Subfields. Each have the same attributes for recording up to 4 applicable driver actions.
Driver Actions (Subfields 1-4):
- No Contributing Action
- Ran Off Roadway
- Failed to Yield Right-of-Way
- Ran Red Light
- Ran Stop Sign
- Disregarded Other Traffic Sign
- Disregarded Other Road Markings
- Exceeded Posted Speed Limit
- Drove Too Fast For Conditions
- Improper Turn
- Improper Backing
- Improper Passing
- Wrong Side or Wrong Way
- Followed Too Closely
- Failed to Keep in Proper Lane
- Operated Motor Vehicle in Erratic, Reckless, Careless, Negligent or Aggressive Manner
- Swerved or Avoided Due to Wind, Slippery Surface, Motor Vehicle, Object, Non-Motorist in Roadway, etc.
- Other Contributing Action
Important for evaluating the effect that dangerous driver behavior has on crashes.